Burning A DVD From A VIDEO_TS Folder On A Mac

July 17th, 2007

I have a damaged DVD that skips badly and is unwatchable when played on a normal DVD player. I ripped it on the Mac (using Mac The Ripper – great program!), and the resulting VIDEO_TS folder seems to play back fine using DVD Player in OS X.

However, I wanted to be able to play it on a normal DVD player again.

One option would be to convert it to an MPG or AVI using something like Handbrake, and then use iDVD to burn a DVD from that. It takes some time to convert and render a DVD, though, and you’d lose some quality.

Then I found this method to turn a VIDEO_TS folder into an ISO image. At the command line, type:

hdiutil makehybrid -udf -udf-volume-name DVDNAME -o DVDNAME.iso /VIDEO_TS/parent/folder

Make sure that final path is the path to the folder where VIDEOTS can be found, not the path to the actual VIDEOTS folder itself.

It takes a little time, but you get an ISO image out. You can then burn this using Disk Utility, and you’ll get a ‘real’ DVD!

Entry Filed under: Mac

19 Comments

• 1. Imran Anwar  |  October 13th, 2007 at 12:20 pm

I did not have any luck getting my DVD’s VIEDO_TOS folder 6.5GB compressed to be able to fit a standard DVD disc.

Imran

• 2. Darren  |  October 19th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Imran, this doesn’t compress or anything. It just turns a VIDEO_TS folder into an ISO image. Whether or not that ISO image fits onto a single-layer DVD is a separate issue.

• 3. robbISanoob  |  January 15th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Every site or forum i read mentions entering a command… anychance u could tell me where i enter this so called “command” thanks a billion.

• 4. Shaun  |  January 16th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

This is great! I was searching around for hours for anything that would allow me to recreate a DVD that would not play in DVD players (due to a worn surface). MTR ripped it fine, but I was stuck on how to get it back on a DVD without spending $50-$100. You tha man!

• 5. Darren  |  January 17th, 2008 at 7:48 pm

To get to the command line, find and run an application called Terminal (should be in your Applications folder). That’s the command line!

• 6. Michiel  |  July 31st, 2008 at 2:22 am

everything worked fine, but when i inserted it in my dvd player it didnt work… Any idea?

• 7. Darren  |  July 31st, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I’m not sure. It could be the type of DVD – some players don’t like DVD-Rs, some don’t like DVD+Rs, some don’t like RWs, some just don’t like particular brands.

I’ve also found with CDs (not sure if it’s the same with DVDs) that I have more luck with cross-player compatibility if I burn them slower. The faster the burn speed, the less time the laser spends burning each ‘dot’, and the less well-formed it is.

• 8. gary Miguel  |  October 17th, 2008 at 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip!

• 9. jp  |  November 26th, 2008 at 12:08 am

don’t know if it works yet, but make sure video_ts folder path doesn’t contain spaces

• 10. Ian  |  March 19th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I’ve tried entering this command (copy & pasted) into Terminal but I can’t get it to work. I’m not sure what part of the command I need to alter for it to work on my Mac. I must be doing it wrong. Could someone explain what part of the command I need to change to make it work?

• 11. aaron  |  April 3rd, 2009 at 9:00 am

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html this is basic and works user friendly

• 12. Rick  |  August 19th, 2009 at 9:27 am

Just what I was looking for….thanks!!!

I used the following syntax: “hdiutil makehybrid -o new_iso_name.iso /Volumes/Firewire/Movies/folder_where_Viseo_TS-Lives”

• 13. sdsf  |  December 7th, 2009 at 11:19 am

DVD Copy for Mac is a professional Mac DVD Folder Burner. You can copy DVD to local computer, or burn DVD Folder from local computer to a blank DVD on Mac OS, This Mac DVD Copy supports all DVD formats, so you can burn your DVD to any DVD disc on your Mac OS. http://snowmacdvd.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/how-to-copy-video_ts-dvd-folder-to-dvd-disc-on-mac-os-xsnow-leopard/

• 14. gdfgff  |  December 24th, 2009 at 5:35 pm

iSkysoft DVD Copy for Mac is a powerful Mac DVD copy software, DVD backup, Mac DVD burner that can copy DVD movies(D9 to D9,D5 to D5) with the entire movie in 1:1 ratio perfectly.

• 15. aquatsr  |  June 27th, 2010 at 5:55 am

If you use that command a lot you might find this useful. AquaISO is an application which provides a nice graphical frontend for the hdiutil makehybrid -iso command. You can monitor the progress of the ISO creation in a way that is better than viewing it in Terminal.

You can download the application here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aquaiso/

• 16. Ernest  |  June 3rd, 2011 at 5:52 am

OMFG!!!! THANK YOU!!! This worked like a charm!!!!

• 17. Tony  |  October 29th, 2011 at 2:29 am

I’m confused. Okay you say to enter the following:

into the command line. But what is the command line? And on what? On handbrake? Do you mean the destination line cuz that didn’t work. I’m sorry, I’m not terribly computer savy, can you be specific, please?

• 18. Darren  |  November 6th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

@Tony: The command line is what you get when you run Terminal. If you’re not computer savvy, I wouldn’t muck around with it. If you have a mate that has more experience, ask them to show you next time they’re visiting.

• 19. Fred  |  January 14th, 2012 at 6:52 am

Taking the above command would this be the correct syntax for example ..

My VIDEO_TS is inDocuments/MyTSfiles

I want to call the iso file MyFirstISO

SYNTAX becomes

hdiutil makehybrid -udf -udf-MyFirstISO DVDNAME -o DVDNAME.iso /VIDEO_TS/Documents/MyTSfiles

Regards