An updated version of this post is available over on my suburban green living blog, Green Change: Chicken Ark Plans
When thinking about a coop for our chickens to live in, we wanted something practical, non-permanent, and space-efficient. Looking around the net, the ‘chicken ark’ or ‘chicken tractor’ concept seemed the best for our needs.
To get some idea of the number of variations on the basic chicken tractor, check out this chicken tractor gallery.
There are heaps of resources for building chicken arks:
- Building A Chicken Coop (downloadable chicken coop plans to buy)
- Catawba Coops (lots of photos in the gallery, and downloadable chicken ark plans for sale)
- chicken ark plan
- ark construction photos
- the Cadillac poultry ark
- the ALS chook shed album
- BackyardChickens.com tractor photos
- Turn Old Pallets Into A Chicken Tractor (includes video)
There are commercial options, too:
- McCallum Made Chicken Tractors – one of the best in Australia
- Forsham Cottage Arks – UK (see also this demo video)
Of course, none of these were exactly what we wanted :-). There were lots of good ideas, though, and we got a good sense of the features we wanted in our own ark. After a few nights spent researching and sketching, measuring and planning, we came up with our final design.
To be continued…
3 comments August 3rd, 2008